MUI Corporation - Your Custom Construction Specialist

Are You Ready to Remodel

Celebrating 25 Years
of Remodeling Excellence

Jun 24, 1999

To Whom It May Concern:

Please be advised that on June 24, 1999, Robert Garrison of MUI Corporation attended a seven-contact-hour training program on repair of water intrusion in Wood-Framed Homes Clad with EIFS conducted by the NAHB Research Center, Inc.


Christian M. Yost


What to Look For

Homeowners who seek to remediate water intrusion in EIFS-clad houses should look for a remodelor or other contractor who has attended on of the EIFS Remediation Seminars conducted by the NAHB Research Center. The NAHB Research Center maintains a registry of people who have attended this seminar and passed a written test demonstrating knowledge of the subject.

Remodelors and/or EIFS Applicators are likely to be the best categories of contractors to employ given the skills required. Skills and knowledge in the following areas are needed:

  • water intrusion assesment;
  • framing/structure;
  • finish carpentry;
  • flashing;
  • roofing;
  • stucco systems; and;
  • plaster finishes.
Homeowners should bear in mind the following limitations of the seminar content:
    It addressed:
    • wood-framed houses
    • houses clad with barrier (face-sealed) -EIFS (synthetic stucco)
    It did not address repair of:
    • structural repairs
    • hard coat stucco
    • steel framed structures
    • drainable ("water-managed" EIFS
Other Things to Consider When Selecting an EIFS Repair Contractor

Experience/Services - How long has the company/person been in business? How many jobs of a similar nature have they done? What kinds of education/training have they completed? The required repairs typically require the carpentry skills of a remodeler/general contractor for structural modifications and repairs as well as the EIFS installation and finishing skills of an EIFS applicator. Some contractors may well have all of the required skills within their company, while some general contractors and remodelers may hire local EIFS applicators to perform appropriate portions of the job. In either case, you should ensure that repair methods and materials being used are approved for use with the EIF System on your house. Be sure that the EIFS applicator is trained in the installation of that manufacturer's product. Some manufactuer provide certificates to applicators who have completed some form of training. EIFS manufacturers may be contacted directly to verify an applicator's training. Be aware that in some cases it is difficult to identify the EIF Sytem manufacturer. In some cases, applicators may have used components from more than one manufacturer, while in others there are simply no distinguising components. It may be possible to identify the EIFS manufacturer by contacting your homebuilder or original EIFS applicator.

Recommendations - ask for names of and talk to previous customers who have had similar work done. Ask these customers about the contractor's reliability, quality level, problem-solving ability, accessibility and promptness. Ask whether they would hire the contractor again. If possible, go and look at finished projects.

Rapport - find someone you feel comfortable with, someone that will listen to and address your particular concerns and does not use high-pressure sales tactics. You want to feel comfortable dealing with this person/company for the duration of the construction. Strong rapport and close communication with a contractor can make a job go well.

Track Record - check with the Better Business Bureau and any local consumer affairs office. Find out whether they have any outstanding complaints about the firm or any other relevant information on file.

Licensing - check to see that they have a valid contractor's license (if applicable in your state or locality). If licensing and/or bonding is required in your area, ask to see a copy of the documents(s) to ensure that the contractor is properly licensed and/or bonded. Bonding requirements vary greatly from state to state; you should find out what your state requires and exactly what any required binding covers.

Insurance - check to see that they have valid insurance. Ask the contractor if the company is insured against claims covering worker's compensation, property damage and personal liability. Ask to see a copy of the certificate of insurance or ask for the name of the contractor's insurance carrier and agency to verify that the contractor has this insurance. In some areas, the law requires contractors to carry such insurance.

Employees - find out who will actually be doing the work and get details on their experience and training. In many cases, the company owner or representative you meet is not the person who will do the work, although they may supervise the job.